Starting with a minimum of 10 hours, during the lessons we will analyze and then put into practice with canvas samples the main techniques used in corsetry.
This course is ideal for fashion design students or enthusiasts that would love to use corsetry elements in their designs.
During the lessons we will NOT make an entire corset.
Part 1: the pattern of a 5 panels underbust corset
- making of the pattern starting from a size 42 dress block with darts
- seam allowances
- placement of the pattern pieces on cotton canvas
Part 2: canvas samples
-insertion of the split busk
- cut and insertion of plastic boning
- finishing of the top and bottom edges
- steel eyelets insertion
STRUCTURE OF THE LESSONS:
The entry level course starts with a minimum of 10 hours of intensive lessons that can be one-to-one or in couple (-50% discount for the second person!) that will be scheduled with at least two weeks in advance at your need via e-mail o DM Instagram.
There are a lot of extra topics that can be added, they're listed below.
You need to have basic patterning and sewing skills, you don't need to have experience in corsetry.
The lessons will take place in my studio which is between Lambrate/Udine M2, you'll recieve the address when you complete your order.
INCLUDED MATERIALS AND FACILITIES:
- cotton canvas
- pattern paper
- printed size 42 dress block with darts
- corsetry tools
- Jack industrial sewing machine and Brother domestic sewing machine
- Brother overlock machine
- handouts and technical instructions
- list of online stores where you can buy corsetry supplies
MATERIALS THAT YOU NEED TO BRING:
- basic sewing kit (fabric scissors, pins, thimble, needles etc.)
- packed lunch (if needed)
- you can bring your own sewing machine if you feel more comfortable
EXTRA OPTIONAL TOPICS:
- THEORIC AND HISTORIC INTRODUCTION (+2h): highly recommended, the lessons will start with a brief history of the corset and its myths, the analisys of theif structure and main terminologies and a showcase of corsetry materials and their functions
- LINING (+1h): you'll learn how to line a corset to give the inside as beautiful and interesting as the outside and/or hide stitching imperfections
- CORDING (+1h): you'll learn how to add cording to your panels. Very popular in the Victorian era, they give extra stability and are very fashionable
- ZIPPER (+1h): you'll learn how to insert a YKK steel zipper in the centre front of your corset
- GUSSETS (+1h): you'll learn how to insert a gusset, a fashionable element that was very popular in the Victorian Era, to make the corset fit even better